Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Welcome!


In order to really understand any people and time period, it's important to look, not just at secondary sources, but at primary sources as well. Rather than having you purchase an expensive supplemental reader for this class, I will post here links to some important primary sources online. For most class sessions, I will ask you to comment here on a selection particularly relevant to what we will be discussing in class.

To get started, here's a test of the History 152 blog system. If you don't already have one, please create for yourself a "Blogger" account by following the instructions at http://www.blogger.com/. Be sure to create a blogger profile which includes your e-mail address. Otherwise, I can't reply directly to your post.

To make sure your e-mail address is accessible to me, please log on to your blogger account. Click "edit profile" (toward the top on the right). Then click the box that says to make your e-mail address accessible.

When you have created your blogger account and your profile, click the "comments" link below, and answer one (1) of the following questions:

1. What figure from American history do you find the most interesting? Why?
2. What is the most important thing you learned in your high school American history classes?
3. What historical time period most interests you? Why?

5 comments:

  1. Western Civ was one of the most interesting classes I have ever taken. In high school I hated history, because it was so boring and I never understood much from those time periods just as to how the classes were taught. When I took Western Civ at Northern for the first time it was great, and I am surprised how much I do remember about Augustus and Ceaser, and so many stories. After taking Western Civ, it really helped me make up my mind that maybe I would like to teach Social Studies or History in the middle school or high school setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martin Luther King Jr. is a person from history that I find most interesting. He taught me one of the greatest life lessons; I need to stick up for what I believe. I need to fight for what I believe in, even if one every person around me agrees with me. I need to not give up and just strive for what I think is right. I do not need to think about what other people think about me, if I believe in what is right then hopefully they will too. Another lesson he taught me is that sometimes the right thing to do is not always the easiest thing to do.
    - Melissa Justison

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2. The most important thing I learned in my classes was to vote. My teacher told us at the end of my senior year and throughout my government class was to vote. I learned how important it is to vote. I learned that one vote can go a long way. One vote can be a deciding factor. Also voting gives the citizens a voice in politics. So voting was the most important thing that I have learned in all my classes.

    Seth Keeble

    ReplyDelete
  4. The historical time period that most interests me is the time of America. I feel that this is the most important time period for my generation, as it directly affects everything that happens in the U.S. and the world today. By studying this time period, I can better understand the actions of the present governments of the world. -Zachery Crandall

    ReplyDelete
  5. The most important thing I learned in my high school American history classes were that how important everything was. I always think about if one war was lost or won how that would change so much. I always think "what if" and that is why I think it is all so important.

    -Brooke S.

    ReplyDelete